Friday, June 30, 2017

I just cannot stop making art

There are times when I ask myself why do you do this, and should I quit being an artist full time. I always come to the same conclusion - I cannot stop being an artist. This is who I am.

When I got interviewed for my Canada 150 project, I was asked who was funding this project. The question surprised me a bit. I am the one who thought the project up and designed the custom substrates, found someone to make them for me in a timely manner, and then worked on painting the 150 paintings for solid 4 months, rain or shine, no excuses, until the project was completed! I never thought about not doing it because someone needs to fund it first. I am certain it would have never gotten done if that was the case. What I mean by this is that I am having a hard time just finding the space to show the work here in Edmonton when the project is completed and ready to be hung, and there is simply no interest in this Canada 150 project here.

I cherish what happened during the 4 months I focused mainly on the Canada 150 project. I was able to stay focused, and come up with 150 paintings that represent Canada in some way. I pushed myself to talk to Canadians and learned a lot of things about Canada - some good and some bad. When we moved to Canada, I had a lot of preconceived notions about Canada and over the years I learned what it is really like living here, what long winters mean etc. Doing this project has opened my horizons quite a bit, especially regarding history and politics in Canada. Fascinating stuff!

In any case, I will keep trying to find good venues to show my work locally, and most importantly - I keep working on my art daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails